Sitting at my desk on my first day back, I was feeling a little sorry for myself and I realised that I needed to stay positive. So I resolved to think of just one reason a day why it’s not so bad being back at work and here’s what I came up with:
- I can have a drink whenever I like, even a hot drink if I choose AND I can drink it hot. If that’s not winning at life, I don’t know what is.
- Adult conversation. Or should I clarify and say “adult conversation that isn’t entirely about your baby’s poo/sleep/feeding schedule”? I was actually worried that I wouldn’t know how to talk about anything else but I seem to be doing ok. Most conversations are still baby related just much less “it’s your turn to look after her” and more “look how cute and adorable my baby is.”
- My other half has time to miss me. Any stay at home mama will know that your days are spent counting down the moments until your OH gets home. But of course, he’s at work and too busy to really think about missing you (I know you’re busy too but it’s a very different type of busy.) When we had time off together, I’ll be the first to admit we got on each other’s nerves. I don’t think humans are intended to interact with the same human for 24 hours a day! But now the roles are reversed he’s been so much nicer to me and he admitted it’s because he misses me (and maybe appreciates me for what I did day to day whilst he was on leave? Maybe.)
- Earning again. At the beginning of maternity leave, everything is great. You’re getting paid your full salary to stay at home with your baby but as time goes on this, of course, changes. It definitely feels nice to be sitting at my desk knowing that I’m doing it to pay for our wedding, buy clothes for Saskia and buy things to make our home nice. (My favourite things!)
- That Friday feeling! That feeling when you wake up on your last day of work and realise tomorrow is the weekend and the only alarm that will be waking you up is the hungry cries or, if you’re lucky, the soft gurgling and giggles of your little darling. Let’s face it, when that’s how you’re woken up every morning you just don’t appreciate it. Nothing’s more exciting than knowing you’ll be able to spend the next couple of days with your family after a (hopefully) short day at work. You just don’t get a feeling like that when you’re on maternity leave.
I’m ending this week feeling super proud of myself and positive that I can make this work. I’d love to hear about what you liked about going back to work or what you’re looking forward to.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Love, Anna xox